Virginia Volunteerism Conference
The 2014 Virginia Service Foundation's Conference on Volunteerism and Service will be held September 11-12, in Richmond.
The statewide conference is designed for:
- Volunteer or service leader of an agency or organization
- Nonprofit directors
- Persons and organizational leaders exploring service as a path to employment
- Leaders of faith-based organizations
- Volunteer and service coordinators
- Persons who supervise volunteers in addition to other responsibilities
- Local Government and public organization leaders
- Leaders of organizations whose constituents and beneficiaries are people with disabilities
- Persons interested in preparing their organizations for disasters
- Persons starting a new volunteer program or revitalizing an existing program
- Representatives from community and faith-based, K-12 schools, higher education, youth, development organizations, community service groups, corporate/business, and government
Some of the workshop topics will include volunteer management, nonprofit resources, leadership development, collaborations and partnerships. The conference will also feature a service project providing an opportunity for attendees to volunteer on a special project. This year’s theme is "Strengthening Our Communities through Collaboration and Volunteerism."
Stay tuned for details!
2013 Conference on Volunteerism and Service Recap
At last year's conference, than 250 Virginians active in service gathered in Virginia Beach for a full day of exciting workshops and networking. Training sessions focused on emergency preparedness, volunteer management, new healthcare changes, and more. AmeriCorps Director with the Corporation on National and Community Service, Bill Basl, delivered the keynote address. The conference also featured exhibits from area organizations and was sponsored by the Virginia Service Foundation, AARP, and HPS Enterprise/Diamond Hill Retreat.
Workshop Topics and Handouts for the 10:15 - 11:30am Session:
- A1 - Connecting Disaster Resources with Disaster Needs (Powerpoint)
- B1 - Leading Your Organization Through Change (Powerpoint1, Powerpoint2)
- C1 - Engaging Businesses and the Corporate Volunteer (Powerpoint)
- D1 - The Etiquette of Inclusion (Powerpoint1, Powerpoint2, Handout1, Handout2)
- E1 - Recruiting the Right Volunteer from the Right Place for the Right Job (Powerpoint, Handout)
Workshop Topics and Handouts for the 1:15 - 2:30pm Session:
- A2 - Community Disaster Preparedness for Special Populations (Powerpoint)
- B2 - Risk Management with Volunteers (Powerpoint, Handout)
- C2 - Collaboration is a Two-Way Street---Working with faith partners - (no handouts or PowerPoint)
- D2 - eHHR - How will Health Care Changes Affect My Community, Organization and Clients? (PowerPoint_1)( PowerPoint_continued)
- E2 - We Have a Community Problem: Could Service be the Answer? Targeting Service for Community Impact (Powerpoint)
Workshop Topics and Handouts for the 2:45 - 4:00pm Session:
- A3 - My Organization's Continuation of Operations Plan (COOP) and Post-Disaster Environments (Powerpoint1, Powerpoint2, Powerpoint3, Handout)
- B3 - Legal Issues with Disability and Inclusion: What I Need to Know (Powerpoint-Part 1, Powerpoint-Part 2)
- C3 - Establishing Partnerships with Institutions of Higher Education: Colleges and Universities-- A Natural Partnership (Powerpoint)
- D3 - Beyond Volunteering: Converting your Volunteers to Donors, Ambassadors, and Fundraisers (Handout1, Handout2, Handout3)
- E3 - Financial Literacy and Resources for Volunteers and Service Members (EITC, IDA's, Cost Cutting Options) (Handout)
The Virginia Service Foundation, The Governor’s Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism along with the Office of Volunteerism and Community Service brought together a diverse 40-member conference planning committee from across the Commonwealth to develop the annual statewide conference agenda that provided the tools and training to help each community in the Commonwealth fully utilize volunteers and service.
- Workshop Schedule At-A-Glance (PDF)
Workshop Schedule At-Glance (Word)
- Workshop Descriptions and Panelist Information (PDF)
- Workshop Descriptions and Panelist Information (Word)