Governor’s Volunteerism Awards
The Virginia Governor's Volunteerism awards are presented annually on behalf of the Governor of Virginia in partnership with the Virginia Office on Volunteerism and Community Service (OVCS) at the Virginia Department of Social Services and the Governor’s Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism. The awards recognize the significant contributions of Virginia citizens to the life and welfare of the Commonwealth and its people.
The 2015 Governor's Volunteerism Award Nomination Period
is November 12, 2014 - January 28, 2015.
Your nomination may be submitted in either of the following ways:
- Download and complete the nomination document and mail, e-mail, or fax it to our office.
- Complete the online nomination form and submit it electronically. IMPORTANT TIP! We strongly encourage nominators to save the nomination narrative in a word processing application such as Microsoft Word, then copy and paste the narrative into the online form. The online form does not allow partially completed nominations to be saved and completed at a later time. Letters of support can be submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail.
Please review the following documents before submitting a nomination:
- 2015 Frequently Asked Questions (PDF Document)
- Guide to Writing Award Winning Nominations (PDF Document - Revised for 2015)
Recipients of the Governor's Community Service and Volunteerism Awards exemplify the following characteristics:
- Engage in the creation, organization, and/or mobilization of volunteers, groups and resources that are involved in projects benefiting the greater community.
- Demonstrate sustained commitment to meeting community needs.
- Utilize unique and creative approaches to meeting needs.
- Develop and foster the virtues and skills of civic engagement and social responsibility.
2014 Governor's Volunteerism Award Winners
Governor McAuliffe announced the recipients of the 2014 Governor's Volunteerism and Community Service Awards at a special ceremony at the Governor's Mansion on April 10. Read more about the 2014 Award Ceremony.